Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Finally some online poker success

Okay, so it was not exactly a stud event, but last night while chilling with Svetlana, who enjoys heads up confrontations on FTP, I decided to enter a 90 person tournament on Full Tilt. Entry fee was $26. There would be cash prizes ranging from $45 (for ninth) to $576 for first place.

And, the site gave you a $4 bounty every time you eliminated someone from the event.

As is my wont, I was concurrently playing Wordscraper on Facebook, and reviewing my bridge notes with Keith. I find I need other things to occupy me during the early to mid stages of an online tournament, since I am folding a lot.

Many players fill the void by playing several tables simultaneously, and speak of their multi table prowess as if they were comparing penile dimensions in the men's locker room.

But I know me, and if more than two tables I begin to play poorly. Yes, I can play several tables, but I choose not to, and I believe I do better as a result.

Anyway, within 2 or 3 hours, I made it to the final table, comfortably in the money, and now the real fun began. Every player eliminated moves you higher up the money ladder.

As I reflect on the event, I recall several things of note.

1) The final two tables of play pretty much demanded all my attention - especially the final table - you should forget multi tabling when it gets this late in an event.

2) Yes I played well through most of the event - only three decisions I regretted (one of which caused my demise) but I also played with great luck - and it's true most of my poker tournament successes have had that common theme - an excess amount of luck.

I suspect that has to be true for anyone who aspires to go deep in tournaments. At key points you simply have to pull the trigger and shove all in, and if the cards don't favour you, fuggedabout it.

3) On three different occasions I had players use some very nasty words with me which must confirm my luck comment. The most harmless comment was "Nice call, donk."

To which I replied, "If you hadn't tanked like a cheater, I would not have called" i.e. he got what he deserved as he had me dominated with AK and I sucked out on the river with AQ.

Another player said f.u. on her way to the rail. I had three bet with QQ in late position and she had called from the BB. The flop was 10xx, and somehow all the chips ended up in the middle. (early in the event)

The queen on the river seemed to upset my opponent who had flopped trip tens.

And another player said "I don't f.uckin believe you" just because I busted his pocket Aces with Q10 suited in clubs when the board was 8C 7C QD and we got all our chips in the middle. The tidy two of clubs on the river ended his misery.

That guy got a formal warning from the administrator of the tournament for swearing. Not sure what comes after a formal warning - time outs?

Anyway, my luck was pretty good. Another key hand, mid tournament, I busted a shorter stack when he had AA and I had A9 suited, and the turn and river were both in my suit and my nut flush beat his two pairs. No swearing here though.

Back to the final table. It turned out to be a three way battle. I was one of two big stacks with around 110,000 and the third stack had half that.

Earlier I had planned to offer a chop (ie split the prize money) if we got this far, as a three way chop would have netted around $440 or so - better than all but first place.

But you know, I completely forgot, or there was no time or both. It all happened so fast.

It took me a while at the final table to realize how loose people were becoming with their all-in shoves so I laid down a couple of big hands pre flop that in retrospect were probably strong enough to call. (99 and K10s were two)

Small stack shoved from the button and I had AQo, so I called. He had 66 and nothing good came on the board (for once!) and now I was small stack - just like that.

I shoved three hands in a row with hands such as 22, 44, and AJ, and took down the blinds and antes uncontested, trying to build back up and at the same time preparing for a showdown if I were called.

I guess I got carried away with the success of this strategy so with 107o on the button, I tried this four times in a row and was insta-called with K10o by the big stack.

No miracle board, and I went to the rail in third place - still, I did pick up around $280.

Yes, I should have stayed in the zone that last hand. After three successful uncalled shoves, I could easily have afforded a two bet or even a three bet from the button, and if I met resistance, I could have folded and waited for a better spot.

So yes, I blew that hand. But it was a fun way to while away a few hours.

PS Lest I give the impression I am a newbie at this, no I have had online success before , but not much since I began to blog.

2 comments:

OmemeeOzzie said...

How exciting!

Memphis MOJO said...

Congrats on the ca$h.

One time when I sucked out on a player on the river to knock him out, I typed in "GG" he typed in "Bite me." I guess I should consider myself lucky he didn't use the F word.