Monday, November 30, 2009

Sunday's online poker story

I entered a satellite to the $750,000 guarantee on Full Tilt on Sunday. The entry fee was only $8; there were 60 entrants; and the last two players standing won an entry worth $216 to the big event.

I was one of them - having played pretty well the whole event - yes with some luck but not an ungodly amount.

The main event had almost 4400 entrants, with a $3000 starting stack. Just by staying out of trouble and foolishness you can watch the field whittle itself down by 60 - 70% in a few hours.

That's in fact what happened with me. Twice I lost 1000 chips on solid hands, and I had to wait a while to build back up. Just stay patient. So by 8.30, after only 2.5 hours, the field was down to 1700 players and my stack was around $5800 (which was slightly below average size but certainly not alarming.

Sitting in the big blind, with $25 antes, $240 BB and $120 SB I picked up a pair of queens. My LHO opened for a funky $555, and the guy to his left shoved all in with his $2025. The pot was now $2775. Everyone folded back to me.

I could fold (no way !). I could call and throw in another $1785 (keeping around $3600 in my stack for post flop play). Or I could shove all in myself. The guy on my left who had opened for $550 had a slightly bigger stack than I did. If he calls my shove, he has me covered, and I would be in a three way pot to glory. If he folds, I would be heads up with the all-in guy for a $4560 pot.

These are situations I need to learn more about if I am to advance my placings in tournament play. The gambler in me says go for it - it's a good spot to more than double up if I am called ! The conservative, patient player in me says keep it small till I see the flop - be prepared to regroup if I don't like developments post flop.

Anyway, I did shove all in, and my LHO called without much debate. To my delight, he turned over a pair of jacks, and the small stack turned over a pair of sixes. I was clearly ahead in this race. The flop was 9 A 8 with no flush draws possible for any of us.

The next card was a beautiful queen, and I was already high fiving my son Max when the river came a ten. It took a second to realize that the dealer was pushing all the chips from the pot past my avatar to the guy on my left who began with a pair of Jacks, and who had just rivered a straight. Aargh!

His stack zoomed to around $15000 and he was in the top 100 and well placed for a long night at the table. Had I won, my stack would have been just under $14000 and I would have been in around 150th but with a definitely playable stack.

At first my reaction was, oh well, I put myself in a good position and someone sucked out on me - it happens.

But then I went back and looked at the board and the starting hands and began to play out the hand under a different scenario.....

Suppose at my turn I had just called the $2025 bet, and NOT shoved all in. I don't think the JJ guy would then shove all in but if he did for sure I would call and take my chances. So let's assume he would not shove, but rather simply call.

Now the hand plays out totally differently. Villain has JJ with a flop of 9 A 8, and I check to him. What should he do? I dunno !

If he checks too, the turn is my queen, and I would likely shove all in. I believe he would admit defeat on the hand and fold his jacks. I would win a smaller, but still good sized pot, without having jeopardized my whole stack.

If he elected to shove after the flop, I dunno what I would have done. I probably would have folded.

Should I check after the flop? I feel yes, otherwise the hand feels like I will be stack committed very soon.

I would really appreciate some feedback on the play of this hand from expert players - as there were several ways to play my hand and the villain's hand.

Anyway, I am not unhappy. I am on a journey and I feel confident I will get there. I don't play that much compared to many online players and pros - but when I do play, every hand counts, and I learn from every experience. This is exactly how I accelerated my development as a bridge player both back in the day and again now as I reclaim my long lost skills there.

I'm about to book our next trip to Vegas - I feel the tables calling !

Post mortem

The event finished at 4.30 AM. I watched the final three players (again to learn how people play in final table play in these mega events) First place was a cool $154,000, second place $93,000, and third place $61,000.

And Full tilt runs this event every Sunday ! As well as several other pretty big ones! And all the other sites have their own big events too. There is serious coin out there !

2 comments:

OmemeeOzzie said...

4.30am? On a school night? Why pick at a scab over and over -- especially in an unpredictable online environment. Play your hand as Hoyle might or damn the torpedos and play your gut. Either way, it's all experience. But nothing like sitting on some previously peed on seat cushion from some piker who would never let up, fold or, for that matter, place a bet!

Ross Taylor said...

David

I know I am your little brother but I have finished school.

(Max was with me at 9 pm when I busted out)

One of these days I will go deep in a BIG tourney, but I cannot just play by gut instinct - the reason I am having some success is because I use more than just my instincts.


Yes, online poker may be perceived as unpredictable, but there is a certain 'poker on demand' aspect to it that is compelling

Thanks for reading and writing - at least I know I have an audience :)