Monday, December 21, 2009

Aces busted by kings in Venetian daily deep stack

Another enjoyable, but too brief, run in the daily Venetian deep stack event. A smallish field of 87 players paying $150 each.

My stack size was always on the wrong side of average, but I was playing pretty well without great cards. I was moved to the General's table (Texas pro Joseph Davis, who I remarked about in an earlier blog - he reminded me of General Custer) with around 30 players left.

Initially improved my stack with an all-in versus an even smaller stack, when I had KK and he had AQ suited.

Not long later, with the blinds at 75/400/800 and a stack size of around $17,000 (average would be $22,000 or so), my right hand opponent (young John)in second position opened for $2,600 . I think there had been a limper before him. I was looking at two red Aces. I had not seen a high pair all day, and now I had been dealt kings then aces within minutes of each other. I like this dealer !

I could call or raise, but I went for the max with an all-in re raise. At this stage, young John would be hard pressed to lay down what was clearly a real starting hand, as he had even fewer chips than I did.

Everyone else got out of the way, and as he exposed his kings, John said, "I know you have Aces, but I am committed to my hand, I have to call".

Lucky for John and Jocelyn (his cheering section) his agony was short lived, as the flop included a sadistic looking king of clubs.

Nothing else of interest popped up on the board and for the second time in two days, my red Aces have been cracked in key situations. In fact, since I have been in Vegas (8 days now) I have had Aces twice only - once online yesterday in late stages of a big event) and now today. Last night I lost to a starting hand of AK when the turn AND river were BOTH Kings.

John had the good grace to be apologetic, and commiserated that it should be me sitting there with an above average stack in excess of $30,000, rather than the $2,700 or so I was left with.

Had I simply re-raised, it is unlikely John would lay down his hand. And calling would make no sense. I believe he would have re-re raised, and all our chips would have ended up in the middle regardless.

Ah such is poker. As great as AA or KK are as starting hands; neither comes with any guarantees.

Special hellos to Nicholas from Atlantic City, Clint, James (pronounced Jame - es) and John who were at my table today and who all went deep.

No comments: