Thursday, August 27, 2009

Las Vegas in August 2009 - Day 1 - Poker Tournament, Blackjack, and bits n pieces

Not sure if this is a bad omen, but (a) we slept in and were woken up by the limo driver at 6.30 in the morning yesterday. Dashed to the airport; no strip searches this time; and sneezed and coughed all the way on the plane.

My seatmates were charmed I am sure. I thought maybe it was allergies. Svetlana decided to ask the attendants for meds. I told her not to waste her time - they won't even give you an aspirin if you ask.

Silly me ! She came back with several Benadryl simply by refusing to take no for an answer.

But the pill did not really help - except zone me out - and I decided I must have a head cold.

Played in a tournament in the afternoon regardless. Must have played like a pooch as it seemed everyone could read me like a book.

One guy walked a pair of Aces from the small blind. I was in mid position with KQ of spades and had raised it up to 2.5 times the BB. Another player on the button came along for the ride.

The flop was AJ8 rainbow. SB checked and I checked; praying for a free card. Button checked too.

Next card was a ten - with no flush draws available; and SB checked again, and I bet 60% of the pot. Button folded and SB called.

Last card was a brick and SB checked (again !) to me. I bet 40% of the pot for value - he raised me. I re-raised; and he threw his cards away in disgust with himself for pooching the hand - would not even call with his flopped set of Aces. Good play.

He got revenge when I flopped a rainbow straight off the flop with 10-8 clubs suited. Flop was J-9-7 (9-7 suited)

I had an open ended straight flush draw and at that point I had the nut straight. I walked a bit and a ten on the turn gave hope to the card shark with his Q8. We built a healthy pot on the river and I lost of course to his superior straight.

Very next hand I had K10 suited and saw a flop of 3-10-K. I got involved with one other player who was playing A9s. Suited in clubs.

Turn was a club (to go with the three spot on the board and the two clubs in my hand) and the other guy started getting aggressive and we got all the chips in the middle.

The river was a little club - allowing him to go runner runner and score the nut flush to my King high flush - and on the rail I was - 25th/153

I never felt good all day though and it was probably a fair outcome - though too early an exit to cash.

Won $150 at a cash game right after to recoup my entry fee.

Video poker was the worse I can remember in a year - I only cashed once - and had three losing sessions - so down $220 overall there

BJ - first session was a minus $400. I left. Played after dinner at a steady table where nothing spectacular happened except the cards kept me there for almost 3 hours - which for me is almost unheard of.

Only bet heavy one hand; but was always raising my stop-win target. Got up $1700 at one point; but gave back $300 before the stop win kicked in and thanked the lord for a plus day overall - considering it's my first day here and my health - I could not complain.

4 comments:

OmemeeOzzie said...

You'll love this; for a fleeting moment I thought that SB was Svetlana!

Thanks again for the kind words on The Bug Stops Here. Very much appreciated!

Continued success -- and feel better!

Can you say Nyquil?

Memphis MOJO said...

I love it when a player snaps off aces because the villain didn't raise pre-flop.

GL the rest of the time.

idblu said...

Good Luck kiddo...I hope you fare better than in the Cavendish :-)

Ross Taylor said...

Thanks Fredo, David, and Mojo for your words of encouragement