Saturday, August 29, 2009

Vegas in August part 7 - odds n sods

Well I started off this morning with a brisk walk along the Boulevard - already impressed by the wall of heat given off - the air is almost too dry and hot to breathe here. Talked to a couple of guys from Atlanta on their way to play golf - they assured me this is better than 90F in Atlanta - I'll take their word for it.

Next I went to Club Grazie to collect my promotional slot credits of $100. Also redeemed $55 in free slot play accumulated from my last trip. Now I had to cycle the credits through a machine and whatever was left I could keep. Went to a funky 5 cent 3 play jacks or better - where if you bet the max 30 credits, the machine would give you a multiplier payout on every hand. I counted my plays so I would know when the credits were used up and had about 80% of the money left when I was finished my cycle.

Normally I cash out here, but the devil told me to press the button one more time and I was rewarded with 4 fives - before the draw ! It ended up I cashed out around $207 - free money - if you believe in such things in Vegas.

I stayed away from slots on day 2 but yesterday I found time to parlay $20 into $125 eventually. First machine I played I increased it to $28. Later I went to another and increased to $50. Later in the evening I increased it again to $125 and cashed it out.

It may sound lame but I also get pleasure and entertainment from video poker slots even at 1 cent, 5 cents, or 25 cents, as I do from heavier action card games. You cannot play cards for too long I believe - you have to keep yourself busy and distracted. I don't play slots for anything but small stakes - I play to while away time and for the enjoyment.

That's why I usually read a couple of books while I am here, play slots, poker tournaments, swim, walk, girl watch or whatever. I thought I would try this blogging stuff too as it keeps me away from the tables till I feel the time is right.

As for poker slots - it still comes down to the same principles - discipline, money management, and hit and run. And the games I play actually involve my brain - Spin Poker - where I can play 1 to 20 hands and all combinations thereof; 4 level Multi Strike Poker; or occasionally 100 play poker.

Once a trip I play blackjack on cool machines they have at the Palazzo which lets you play all seven spots per hand - these machines can be deadly either way - either they pay well of they kill you - so it's not something I do regularly.

Anyway, today I will enter the daily "Deep Stack" poker tournament at noon. I feel ok - head still a bit dodgy but I think I am fine to play. Hopefully I will have a deep run and enjoy myself.

No comments: