Saturday, August 29, 2009

Vegas in August part 8 - Deep Stack Poker Tourney

First I want to say I had the pleasure of sitting beside Tony Korfman, a very funny guy who gave me an autographed copy of his book early in the deep stack tournament. His website link is here http://www.pokergas.com/

Tony chopped the WSOP seniors event in 2007, and had just won the previous day's daily tournament at the Venetian.

Tony looks like Mr. Las Vegas. Wearing a bright red blazer, gold watch, gold bracelet, gold buttons, and a large distinguished man to boot who made me feel small forward on Shaq's team. All the poker room staff know him, but he was actually quite self effacing about his own resume.

What about this tournament? I sure had my chances - but to cut to the chase I did not cash (again!) The entry fee was a steep $550 (specially on Saturdays) and there were only 50 entrants - paying the top 5 - with first place north of $8400.

I had been quiet for 25 minutes, with the blinds still only $25/$50 and original stacks of $15,000. I held K10 of spades in first position. I wanted to play a hand and figured if I came in no one would raise me unless they had a monster as I was already pegged as the table's "nit".

So I put in $150, and a total of six of us went along for the ride.

The flop was S9 S2 5H

I had nothing except the spade flush draw. Nonetheless, I decided to weed a couple of people out and bet $300 after two checks to me. A guy in mid position called, as did FTP cap in the SB.(Full Tilt Poker cap)

Next card was the club 5, and the action was on me after SB checked again. I bet $1000, and this got rid of the guy in the middle, and kept the interest of FTP cap.

The river was the diamond 5, so we have a board that looks like 92555.

I felt I had been representing a pair, and not a bad one at that. SB checked again and I bet $3000 trying to grab this pot once and for all. But he called and flipped over 102 offsuit for the weakest possible full house - but good enough to beat your fool-no-one hero.

Still, although I had immediately lost 1/3 of my stack, it felt like I got some respect from the table for my moves - as they all thought he was nuts to call me - but he was good enough to call me I guess.

A little later the table chip leader had the misfortune of holding pocket Aces and got a walk when not even the SB looked him up - the only walk I saw for the first 4 hours.

The blinds were now up at $50/100 and I held A10 of spades, in first position. I bet $300, and got 2 callers, including Tony Korfman on my immediate right in the BB. The board was A of clubs, 8 and 2 of spades - a pretty great flop for me.

Tony checked and I bet $700. The other guy got out of the way, and Tony called. The next card was the spade 6, and other than straight flush draws I was looking really good. Tony checked and I bet out $1500. He called.

The river was the diamond king, so I finally had the nuts. He checked again and I dithered. He reminded me it was my turn to bet and as I responded he said whatever you bet I am calling you - a bit of gamesmanship to be sure.

Anyway I bet $3500 which he happily called. I don't know what he had but I had gotten back what I had lost the previous orbit.

Shortly after the blinds were at $100/$200 and I had 108 of hearts on the dealer button. The guy three off the BB bet $700 to go, and I called, as did the BB.

The flop was QH 7H 6S.

So I had a heart flush draw and a gutshot straight draw. I hoped the betting would not get too heavy with three players still involved.

The BB checked, and the guy in the middle bet $1000. I dunno what is right - I think I am supposed to call, which I did, as did the BB.

The turn was 5 of clubs - so now I have an open ended straight draw, as well as the flush draw.

BB checked and the guy in the middle stuck in $4000 - now what am I supposed to do - we are not at the river yet and 1/3 of my stack will be in this pot - and I don't know what the guy on my left plans to do yet.

I called as did the BB. The river was a red king - it seems helping no one - we checked down the river and the BB scooped a nice pot with Q6 offsuit.

Meanwhile FTP and the guy in the middle were getting personal. Not with words but with their action. I did not catch all the betting, but suddenly there was a hand where FTP had all his chips in with Q7 of diamonds in his hand and a flop of 952 rainbow.

Middle guy had a far bigger stack and he called with 109 suited. FTP hat spiked a queen on the turn and middle guy was NOT a happy camper - $28000 pot.

Middle guy seemed to be steaming after that. Shortly after I had AK suited in clubs in the hijack seat and FTP bet $700 in first position. I called as did the SB (middle guy)

The flop was J of spades, and 8-5 of hearts. Middle guy shoved right away with his last $8375.

I had about $9500 left. FTP got out of the way and it was up to me. Who knew if middle guy had a made hand or a drawing hand but I did not want to essentially put my tournament on the line so early; so I folded and showed my hand. (something I almost never do)

The first major hand I won was holding 88 in first position. The blinds were 100/200 with a $25 ante. I bet out $400 and I got five callers, including Tony on my right in the BB.

The flop was 346 rainbow and Tony instantly went all-in with around $2200. With this flop I felt I had to stay involved but I really did not want multi way action so I raised all-in myself with my $8775.

Ben two to my left called me and everyone else folded. We turned over.

Tony had flopped a straight - gulp, but I was ahead of Ben with his pair of 5's and a gut shot straight draw.

The turn was an 8 - giving me a set of 8's; but still behind Tony. The river was a 6 - yes - a 6, and my pair of 8's had now converted to a full house and I cleaned up the whole pot. I sheepishly shook Tony's hand and thanked him again for his autographed book.

He signed the inside something to the effect

"To Ross the blogger, whatever the f*** that is !

Best regards, Tony Korfman"

If you visit his website or read his book, you'll understand that this is his schtick -and nothing to take personally.

So now I was in business with a stack of over $20,000 - around average.

I thought I played another hand real well and got lucky a bit later. I had Ace of clubs and nine of spades in early position. The blinds were $200/$400 with a $25 ante.I raised it up to $900, and the BB looked me up, as had another guy in the middle.

The flop was 6 and 4 of clubs, and the ten of hearts. The BB checked and I bet out $2200 with basically nothing to show for my bravado.

The button folded, and the BB called.

Next card was the club 8 - so now I at least had a club flush draw. BB checked to me and I checked too - happy for the free card.

The river was the glorious ten of clubs. BB checked to me and I only had to figure out how much to bet.

I put out $4000; he called, and he put his Queen high flush on the table - so of course I won.

He had the flush at the turn, so he could have squeezed me out of the pot had he bet big after the turn - but the free card he gave me destroyed him. I guess my hand was hard to read, or he was not really sure how best to play - as he knew he had the winning hand after the turn. Still I was not complaining.

Now I was up in the mid to high twenties and feeling ok.

I stayed quiet for a while, and got a sweet extra $18000 when the SB decided I was joking with my Aces in the BB and he put me all in with AQ after a three card rainbow rag flop.

So now I was table chip leader with over $50K. I feel like a putz for not making it to final five. I made the classic mistake of getting involved in a huge pot with the other big stack at the table – FTP cap guy.

I had AQo in the SB, and the blinds were I think $300/$600 with a $75 ante. He bet $1500 in early position, a guy in the middle called and so did I. The flop was Q73 rainbow.

I led out for $5000, and FTP called and middle guy folded. The turn was a three in the fourth suit. I was not sure where I stood in the hand. I checked – the pot was already around $15-$16000. And FTP splashed $25,000 into the pot.

It felt like he did not want me to call – this was an overbet. On the other hand – should I care? Should I not just let this go and wait for another spot against another player? He could have a set (unlikely to be queens) or he could have QJ, KQ, AQ, Q10 even. Yes KK and AA are possible, but with this guy at this time I was sure not. Still with so many possible hands, you can see I was not in a comfortable position - I should have executed a squeeze play pre flop, and maybe raised it up to $4500 or so.

What to do? Well no sense in calling I thought as we are headed towards all the money in so I decided it’s all in or fold. I went all in and he called after much thought and turned over KQ.

You have guessed the outcome – the river was a king and I barfed inwardly as I passed over all but $9000 or so of my chips to the new tournament chip leader.

All you good players out there – tell me I was wrong to call – I must have been – look at the result.

But I was determined not to tilt or steam – although I am sure many were waiting for me to do so. I hung in and rebuilt back to around $25,000.

The blinds were getting pretty high and we were down to two tables. $1000/$2000 with a $300 ante. Each orbit was costing $5400 or so.

I was trying to play poker but my options were limited since to see a hand all the way to the river was costing my stack size it seemed. I got blinded down to around $21,000 until I picked up KK in the BB. OK here is my time.

My LHO (Ben) limped in; as did the next guy, as did a fourth guy – I hoped I could squeeze them all out with an all-in move.

But LHO and his LHO both called ! Well this was a chance to triple up. I was sure I had the best starting hand.

Flop was 10 clubs 8 and 7 of spades. I suppose people might be flushing and straightening, but it still felt I had a chance. The other two guys both got it all in for a separate side pot and now I did not like my chances. If three people like their hands this much, two of us will be wrong!

LHO flipped a pair of sevens to show his set; and his LHO was gunning for the Ace high spade flush.

Neither a spade nor a king came on the turn or river and two of us subsided. 15th and 16th. There were only 50 entrants because of the large entry fee – and only five places paying.

First was $8400 or so and fifth around $1700 with a prize pool of around $24,000 plus.

I came back to watch the ending – six players left with two large stacks - $192000 and $250,000 and four smaller stacks. The big stacks took home $5000 each; two other guys took home $3900; one guy took $3400 and the little guy in sixth still took home $2900. Four of the six were from my original starting table. The guy who put me out with 77 was one $5000 winner and FTP cap guy was a $3900 winner.

Sigh ! Good news is I am not that far off in my game for this sort of thing – but you still need luck even if your game is good enough. But I truly enjoy the grind and battle of a tournament – though many cash players would say I am nuts since I can invest so much time for no return whereas they can be making their average hourly rate at the regular tables.

But until I improve, this milieu is fine for me.

2 comments:

Daniel Korbel said...

Ross -- seems like from your posts that you are playing fabulous tourney poker -- just hang in there and your results WILL come.

Memphis MOJO said...

"I went all in and he called after much thought and turned over KQ. You have guessed the outcome –"

Good read, unlucky deck. If your hand holds up, you're in position to win the tournament or chop for a big payout.

Tournaments are exciting - I love them.