Friday, August 28, 2009

Vegas in August - part 3 Blackjack characters

It's Friday morning and another sunny day of 40C is on the way. Turned out it was a good job I went back down last night. Found an empty $50 double deck BJ table and tousled with the dealer for several shoes with no one gaining any quarter.

Then an 60'ish Southern guy who always seems to be around bought in for $1000 and he and I started to heat up. Got up $450 and was doing fine until mid nice shoe some very large older guy from Chicago jumps in with a purple chip on the middle spot and pisses me off. I NEVER jump into someone else's shoe.

So I sat out immediately and watched him lose the next 3 hands - which would all have been my hands ironically if he had not sat down ! The guy at the end was pissed off too but as he caught two blackjacks during the same three hands he stayed quiet - literally and metaphorically.

I was within a hair of leaving, but thought, oh well, let's see how the next shoe goes. It went fine - was up a couple of units - thanks to a hairy split of two 8's against dealer's face which bought me a 19 and an 18 and dealer turned over a magnificient 7.

Chicago settled down and rebought for another $1000

We played several shoes together and to my pleasant surprise everyone played their cards well - no mistakes - the Chicago guy even took my advice on a few tricky hands - like should he double A7 vs dealer's 3 (no he should not); should he split his 9's against dealer's 9 (yes he should) and all was fine.

I kept looking for my exit cue but the next hand would keep me in. However, it turned sour on two happenstances. First the anchor decided to get cute with two 7's vs dealer's Jack - god knows why. He made a mess of his two hands; dealer pulled a 19 vs the bust he was slated to get; and that shoe went south.

Chicago decided to bet like a drunken sailor on the next shoe and lost all but $181. I sat out and watched. I came in for the next shoe, where Chicago parlayed his $181 into $2000 plus - by betting recklessly and with great luck - and he was tipping the dealer $25 bets every hand during his run.

So he left with his profit (I think it was a profit - there was a lot of to'ing and fro'ing with his chips) and anchor and I settled down again.

But an Iranian lady decided it was her cue to jump in mid shoe with two hands to go - and against my better (normal) judgement I did not sit out. Lost the first hand she played; bet a second hand to get back the bet I lost and dealer now pulled a blackjack.

So after numerous exit signals over the previous 30 minutes I decided enough was enough and cashed out a healthy winner. I tried to get Svetlana to take over my spot -I was just too tired to keep playing but she is like the Energizer bunny at Blackjack - so she might as well sit in a winning spot at a reasonable table.

But several sharks had been lurking behind me and one of them scooped the spot while it was still warm from my behind before Sveta could walk the five steps over to my table.

I could have made a scene - but next time I will simply reserve the spot.

2 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

When someone jumps in your shoe. as you call it, couldn't that help you just as easily as hurt you? I don't play, so just asking.

Ross Taylor said...

Yes you are right Mojo

And in fact my dear Svetlana jumped into my shoe this morning even though I asked her not to and all of us scored a blackjack

My modus operandi though is to control the table - the fewer players the better - and over the years I have just found it aggravating when there is a jumper


And if you are emotionally off kilter it might subtly affect you so whatever works for the player I guess